Click here to review EVM Analysis Paper
AMS Ltd use a Project Control Implementation model to create an integrated project control structure and baseline. Our implementation approach aligns with the APM EVMS guideline and ANSI-748, which lists five categories that should be considered to successfully implement an EVM compliant project control system, the five key categories are listed:-
1. Create the Organisation
- Establish a clear understanding of the project requirement
- Define the WBS to allow for meaningful estimating, planning & reporting. Expand down to work package level to identify where cost collection will take place.
- Define the project organisation and owners of project scope
- Detail the project scope indentifying clear boundaries between control accounts.
- Define a strategic plan to identify key milestones and durations
2. Planning Scheduling and Budgeting
- Develop the schedule identifying activities, dependencies and milestones
- Define the progress measurement types (% Complete, Milestone, LoE)
- Allocate labour, plant and material to the schedule
- Validate the integrated schedule and the critical path
- Identify all project schedule and cost risks and issues
- Check the alignment and integrity of the Scope, Schedule, Estimate and Risk Register
- Authorise the baseline
3. Accounting Considerations
- Establish a cost collection process so it aligns with the execution of the work, as a minimum down to work package level of the WBS.
- Establish the accrual policy, to ensure actual costs are recorded in the same period as the progress is claimed.
4. Analysis and Management Reports
- Establish and setup Project Reports to identify Schedule and Cost performance.
- Establish a monthly project review calendar and timeline
- Establish a process for cost forecasting and the creation and analysis of an Estimate at Complete (EAC).
5. Revisions and Data Maintenance
- Ensure agreed change is authorised and incorporated into the baseline is a timely manner, to support month end reporting.